It can be frustrating to try to attract your crush or meet someone new. The dating phase can be particularly tricky, and you’ve probably tried every trick in the book to attract your crush – but nothing has worked. This is where cheesy pickup lines come in.
Using cheesy pickup lines gives you a chance to capture the attention of the person you like. They have been proven to be effective, and they’re the perfect way to make someone laugh or even impress them. As they say, first impressions can make or break you, and this is why cheesy pickup lines can give you an advantage in attracting the person you want. Remember, first impressions last forever, so make it count with your pickup line.
In this article, we’ll list 51 cheesy pickup lines to improve your dating life and help you find a partner.
But first, let’s learn about the history behind pickup lines. Who was the first person to use a pickup line? Is it documented? Why do they work when we know some of them are total nonsense? We wanted to know the ins and outs of pickup lines ourselves, so before we tell you what to say, let’s find out a little bit about why we say them.
A Brief History of the Origin of Pick-Up Lines
Although the first pickup line ever used wasn’t recorded in history books, it’s worth wondering where such a thing came from. In the beginning, pickup lines were more of a comedic thing than anything else, and they were known as “chat-up” lines, used to make a girl laugh and start a conversation.
Perhaps the coolest part of these cheesy one-liners is that they originated from comedy skits and plays. Actors would use them in attempts to woo their lady or crush, but instead, they would make them (and the audience) laugh. This probably explains why most pickup lines sound funny rather than appealing.
However, there is undoubtedly some appeal to these lines, as they have been working for so long.
Why Do Cheesy Pick-Up Lines Work?
Although pickup lines might not always work, in general, what makes something so corny and seemingly disingenuous work so well on most people? Why is it that something so small can really be the thing that starts (or even kills) a relationship?
The key is the laughter that comes with it. Laughter is said to be the best medicine, bring people closer together, and if you can make someone laugh, they’ll love you forever. So when you greet someone with a silly, fun, yet cheesy pickup line and make them laugh, you might have set the tone for your entire new relationship.
If you can make someone laugh the first time they meet you, especially the very first time, that’s something that never goes away. It sticks in their mind forever, and they’ll think about you and what you said or did to make them laugh for days, even weeks. There’s something intriguing about someone who can make you laugh, as it makes you wonder what else they could do for you to stimulate your brain.
How to Effectively Use Pick-Up Lines
There aren’t really any set rules when it comes to pickup lines – you either say it, and they like it, or you say it, and they roll their eyes and walk away. It really just depends on the person you’re talking to and the environment you’re in. This points to the importance of being aware of your surroundings when you decide to bring out your comedic skills to impress your crush.
Why does the environment matter so much? It’s simple, really. Consider a funeral – it’s not an appropriate place to hit on someone. Instead, you would want to offer your condolences and console someone.
Similarly, if you’re at the movie theater with a group of people, it’s probably not the best time to lean over and try hitting on someone.
Instead, use context clues, body language, hand movements, and gestures to pick up on when you should and shouldn’t be using cheesy pickup lines. If you notice that someone is in a bad mood and isn’t talking much to anyone, tread carefully. You might make them laugh, but you could also make them dislike you for not respecting their feelings.
It’s all about timing, man.
Intelligent and Cheesy Pick-Up Lines
- I know hundreds of Pi digits, but what I really want to know is the 7 digits of your phone number
- Are you sure we haven’t had a class together before? I could have sworn that we had chemistry together.
- You seem to be traveling at the speed of light because time always seems to stop when I look at you.
- Scientists have recently discovered a rare new element called Beautium. It looks like you are made of it.
- Are you my appendix? Because I don’t understand how you work but this feeling in my stomach makes me want to take you out.
- I feel an attraction between the two of us that is more than just our physical gravitation.
- Does your skin feel burnt? Because I think you must have just fallen down from heaven, and re-entry would have caused some problems for you.
- I’m attracted to you like the Earth is attracted to the Sun- with a large force inversely proportional to the distance squared.
- You must be a fossil because I would love to date you.
- If you go out with me, I promise I won’t take you for granted.
- My favorite element on the periodic table is Uranium because I am in love with U.
- You must be a red blood cell because you take the oxygen out of my lungs and bring it right to my heart.
- If there was no gravity on this planet, I would still fall for you.
- Are you a compound of Beryllium and Barium? Because you’re a total babe.
- I wish your name was Avocado, because then I would already know your number.
- You must he copper because I always CU in my dreams.
- Your angles must be less than 90 degrees because I think that you are so acute.
- You must be the square root of two because I’m irrational around you.
Smooth and Cheesy Pick-Up Lines
- I’ve got a tip for your Tinder. Delete it and go out with me instead.
- Baby, if you were words on a page, you’d be what they call fine.
- Is your name Google? Because you have everything I’ve been searching for.
- Mario is Red. Sonic is Blue. Press start to join and be my player 2.
- I like food, you like food, want to go get some food?
- They say Disneyland is the happiest place on Earth. Well apparently, no one has ever been standing next to you.
- Would you grab my arm, so I can tell my friends I’ve been touched by an angel?
- There’s only one thing I want to change about you, and that’s your last name.
- Did the sun come out, or did you just smile at me?
- Hey, I just realized this, but you look a lot like my next girlfriend.
- Can I tie your shoes? I don’t want you falling for anyone else.
- Do you have a Band-Aid? Because I just scraped my knee falling for you.
- Hi, how was heaven when you left it?
- Kiss me if I’m wrong, but dinosaurs still exist, right?
- Can I follow you home? Cause my parents always told me to follow my dreams.
- There must be something wrong with my eyes, I can’t take them off you.
- I’d say God Bless you, but it looks like He already did.
Fun Cheesy Pick-Up Lines
- Are you a Pokedex, cause you have everything I’m looking for?
- You’re so pretty, I wouldn’t even need to use an Instagram filter if I took your photo.
- If you were a stop light, I’d turn red every time you passed by, just so I could stare at you.
- I’m lost. Can you give me directions to your heart?
- Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I pass by again?
- If nothing lasts forever, will you be my nothing?
- I’m sorry, were you talking to me? [No] Well then, please start.
- Was your father a thief? ‘Cause someone stole the stars from the sky and put then in your eyes.
- In a room full of art, you’re the only masterpiece that I see.
- Somebody call the cops because it’s got to be illegal to look that good.
- Hey, Cupid just called and he wants to tell you that he needs my heart back.
- Are you asthma? Because you take my breath away.
- Are you caffeine? Because without you, I don’t have the energy to last the day.
- I feel like a library card since I’ve been totally checking you out.
- I have had a really bad day and it always makes me feel better to see a pretty girl smile. So, would you smile for me?
- Your smile lit up the room, so I had to come over.
So there you have it! These are 51 cheesy pick-up lines that you can use on your crush or on someone you have plans on attracting. Whether they’re intelligent, smooth, or humorous, you can use any one of these and it’s guaranteed to catch their attention.
Pick-up lines are the perfect way to break the ice in a conversation, and if you’re lucky, it might even make them laugh! You’ll never know unless you try, right?
Test Pick-Up Lines Before Using Them
Before you use a pickup line, it’s essential to test the waters first. This means not only checking the environment but also knowing who you’re trying to attract. Is she funny? Is she witty and intelligent? Is she naughty? These factors matter, depending on which line you choose.
For example, let’s say you’re crushing on a really intelligent, book-smart, nerdy girl with glasses. The last pickup line you want to use is one that either A) makes fun of smart girls or B) talks dirty and sounds super immature to her. You’ll need to use an intelligent and witty line to get her attention; otherwise, you risk losing her altogether.
On the other hand, if you have a laid-back, down-to-earth girl who loves to laugh and will laugh at the silliest, smallest things, you can try something a little more daring. But still, be careful if you don’t know her sense of humor.
An ugly pickup line could ruin a relationship before it even starts, so make sure you know the person you’re trying to attract. Pickup lines are meant to be silly, cheesy, sometimes dirty, and, of course, meant to attract the person you’re talking to. Always be aware of your surroundings when you decide to use a witty line, and make sure you’re not stepping on anyone’s toes or hurting anyone’s feelings with your words.
Unfortunately, many people will turn away from you forever over a first impression. So, as we said before, make that first impression last – in a positive way.